Tuesday, January 31, 2023

The Multi-tool Community

***This post requires participation and input.***


This is my multi-tool. I've had it for years, and carry it with me almost every single day, whatever I'm going, and I end up using it almost every day for something or another. Pliers, wire cutters, screwdriver, can opener, knife, saw, I've found myself in situations needing each and every one of these tools, and they were there, at my disposal. I love having a multi-tool and highly recommend that everyone carry one.

Here's the thing. In life, our community, our connections, our group, is like a multi-tool. Every single person has skills, gifts and talents that are unique to them. In Christianity this is referred to as the Body of Christ, the Church, and we are told what a beautiful thing it is, how useless a body would be if it was just a pile of eyes.

Often, however, we struggle with a couple of things. First, we don't believe we are useful, that we have any skills to contribute, or that the skills we do possess are also possessed, in greater abundance, by someone else, so we shy away from sharing or using those gifts and talents. Secondly, we try to do everything on our own, we don't reach out, we don't utilize the tools at our disposal, choosing instead to pretend that we can do it all, or if we can't, then either it can't be done or isn't all that important anyway.

I tend toward the second one of those.

***Here's what I would like to do. I have an incredibly large network of friends, family, acquaintances, and many of them, I'm not all that sure what their gifts, talents and skills are. So, I'm asking that you leave a comment below, let everyone know what you are good at. Maybe it's what your profession is in. Maybe it's a side hustle. Maybe it's a hobby or pastime. You may be a fantastic electrician or doctor or marketer. You may have an incredible talent for cooking or gardening or sewing or art. Maybe you are a great orator or musician or have immense knowledge in finance or city management. I don't know what it is. There are countless things that people are skilled at, and I guarantee that there is a need for each and every talent, so share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment