Sunday, January 8, 2023

Almost Science

When I was a kid, my youth pastor had us do this activity where we went out into the woods and found something that symbolized our life and relationship with God. That activity has stayed with me. I found a branch covered in moss. 


***The following symbolism is not scientifically accurate. I know that, but it's what my teenage brain saw, and the idea behind it works, so just go with it.***

I was the branch. As long as I was connected to the tree I was ok. I was alive. I was thriving. The moss was life and other people, people that needed me in some way, events that sucked live out of me. The tree was God. 

Again, as long as I was connected to the tree, to God, I was healthy, and life and strength would fill me and then flow out of me to the people around me. If I were to become disconnected from the tree, not only would I die, but I would no longer be able to provide life to the moss, and it would suffer as well. 

The importance of this was staying connected to the source of life, to God, but recently I've been realizing that there is more than that. As a young teenager, God was revealing to me that my role, my calling is to help others, to be a conduit of life.

This is not an easy task, it is, often, draining, but it is also necessary and can be rewarding. God longs for each of us to be directly grafted into Him, to receive life from the source, but many times people, for various reasons, aren't connected directly to Him, they need a conduit, a life line. That is a role that I am called to, specifically, and I wouldn't give it up, even if it's hard and uncomfortable at times. 

This is also what church is, a group of people supporting each other, lifting each other up, being lifelines, not through their own power, but God's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I read this this morning from "Waking The Dead" by John Eldredge

"When the Scripture talks about church, it means community. The little fellowships of the heart that are outposts of the kingdom. A shared life. They worship together, eat together, pray for one another, go on quests together. They hang out together, in each other's homes."

No comments:

Post a Comment