Monday, February 13, 2012

Gun Safety

Over the weekend I attended a gun safety class as part of my church's X-Men men's ministry. I have never really held a gun before or had any desire to shoot, aside from paintball and pellet guns, but in light of my last post I figured I should at least know how to handle a gun if I ever need to use one for any reason, whether that be to protect myself/my family or to go hunting or something like that.

Anyways, next month the X-Men meeting will be held at the shooting range, and therefore, attending the gun safety meeting this month was required for attendance next month. I learned quite a bit about guns that I did not know, and honestly, I feel even more nervous than I did before, but I'm still planning on trying my hand at this whole shooting thing.

So here are the 12 Golden Rules for Safe Gun Handling that we were provided:
  1. Always treat the gun as loaded.
  2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
  3. Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
  4. Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
  5. Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.
  6. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
  7. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
  8. Always use proper Ammunition.
  9. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
  10. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
  11. Don't rely on the gun's safety to keep it from firing.
  12. Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns so you don't trip or lose your balance and accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything.
Let's hope next month goes well and I don't shoot anyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment