Sunday, January 13, 2019

Three Wishes

The other night, while sitting at the dinner table, my daughter asked the question, after having watched Aladdin for the first time just a few days earlier, if you had a magic lamp and genie, what would your three wishes be? Now this is a very common question that people ask, sorry if like "What would you do if you won the lottery" but it's still a fun one to explore.

My response was that my first wish would be for $2,000,000,000, to which my wife responded "Why not just wish for a bottomless bank account that refills every time you use it?" She's smarter than me. So I modified my first wish to that. My second wish was to have every superpower possessed by any and every comic book superhero. My third wish was ...

I couldn't think of what to wish for my third wish. In my mind, if I had unlimited money and unlimited power I could do whatever I wanted, whatever I could ever imagine. There was nothing else I could think of that I would want or need that I couldn't do with what I had already wished for.

However, I then thought that I maybe cheated a little with the whole wishing for every superpower thing, so I modified it to wishing for the ability to travel through time and the ability to travel through space, to teleport. So there you have it, three wishes: Unlimited money, Time Travel & Teleportation.

This got be thinking about why. Why were those my wishes? Why would I want superpowers and money? Why do other people wish for health or possessions? What influences and drives our wishes? What do our wishes say about us, about our ambitions, desires, loves, hates, anger, aggression, passion, generosity, selfishness, goals, worldview, vision, etc... What is behind our three wishes?

For me, there are a few of things.

Money: It is said that the love of money is the root of all evil, but money itself is amoral. Unlimited money, or at least a whole ton of it, would provide freedom from debts and financial obligations, and would allow me to have more time to spend with my family and do the things I want and love to do without worrying about how we would pay for them or how we would pay for the necessities of life.

It would also allow me to provide that same freedom and release to people around me, to my friends and family, and to help strangers in need.
And, of course, it would allow me to buy a whole lot of fancy toys, whether that be outdoor gear, tech, etc...

Superpowers: This one stems from a different perspective. Of course, I think it would be cool to possess superpowers, to be able to control the weather, run super fast, move things with my mind, heal, etc... who doesn't? However, what really got me thinking about this is all the tragedies that happen in our city. In the last month alone there's been a little girl murdered by her parents, a little girl murdered by her teenage cousin, two teenage boys murdered by someone and dumped on the Mesa just before Christmas, and that's not to mention the multiple others who have been killed in showings and car accidents and domestic violence situations that don't make the headlines.

I would love nothing more than to somehow be able to help these people and those in the future. If I could go back to these places and jump in and save the people and jump out, how great would that be? It maybe instead of time travel, I could have foresight to know what's going to happen before it does and intervene. My heart shatters every time I read a new story about some horrific thing that has happened because humans are horrible. I don't want to live in a world, in a society, in a community, where this is normal. I don't want my children to grow up in that. I certainly don't want it to touch those I love, so I wish I had the knowledge and power to prevent and change these life altering events.

So that's where my wishes come from. A desire to be free of financial burden, to spend more time with my family and doing the things I love, and a broken heart over the atrocities of the human nature and a desire to change and prevent these.

So, what are your wishes, and where do they come from? And, more importantly, since I don't anticipate anyone coming into possession of a magic lamp anytime soon, what can you do in your life today to start moving toward those desires, to start manifesting your wishes in your life?

I may not have unlimited money, but how can I work on becoming as financially free as possible? What things can I do to make more time for my family? How can I reprioritize my life to spend more time doing the things I love? I may not have superpowers, the ability to time travel or see the future. I can't change the past and there is much about the future I can't change, but what can I do to help people, to change my neighborhood, my city, to change the society that I live in, that my children are growing up in?

What are your three wishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment