Friday, April 27, 2018

Things I Learned From Racing a Train

Wednesday was Zac's birthday, and as part of his 5th birthday celebrations we went to the Zoo and the Children's Fantasy Garden at the Botanic Garden. There is a train that connects the two, which are about 1.5 miles apart, and runs alongside the bike trail. Upon our return trip to the Zoo Manda suggested that I run the trail and see who gets back first, the train or me. I decided to take up the challenge, and in the process I learned a few things.

  1. We should talk to people more. I learned that the conductor of the train was an 80 year old man who had been conducting the BioPark train 4 days a week for 8 years. Because I was going to race the train I was waiting outside, not on the train, obviously, and in those few minutes of waiting I got to have a short conversation with the two men who were in charge of seeing the train got from point A to point B. They were incredibly nice, enjoyed their job, and it was a super pleasant conversation that I never would have had otherwise.

  2. We should be more aware of our surroundings. While I was talking with the conductor, a group of girls walked up to a big map, and were looking at it very confused. They were talking and examining the map, obviously lost or unsure, and the conductor asked them at least three times if he could help them find anything. They never even acknowledged that he had spoken.  Were they not wanting to interact with other people? Maybe. Did they consider the conductor to not be able to help because of his age, and so ignored him? Maybe. Did they not hear? I would bet this was the case, but if so it was because they were so focused on their own agenda/questions that they weren't aware of their surroundings because the conductor was only about 10 feet away and plenty loud. Being aware of your surroundings can result in you having new experiences or just getting the help you need.

  3. Use common sense. As you got off the train at the Aquarium Station there was a small sign with an arrow pointing in the direction of the entrance to the Aquarium and Botanical Garden. This sign is probably necessary, since the entrance is a bit away and around a corner, so not immediately obvious. However, apparently that sign blew down a few weeks ago, and as a result, was pointing down the train tracks, behind the building. The conductor told me that tons of people would follow that sign down the train tracks, obviously not a pedestrian path, and wind up confused and lost. He got some tape and taped the sign back up so people would stop walking down the tracks. Admittedly, we follow signs for directions, but when that sign is lying on the ground and pointing in an obviously wrong direction, why did people still follow. We need to learn to use common sense and not just blindly follow.

  4. Take action. I was not all prepared to run that afternoon, certainly not to race a train. I was wearing jeans, a hat, my glasses, none of which I wear when I run. I didn't have music. My pockets were full of papers and my knives and wallet and Manda's keys. My keys were hanging from my belt loop. My Leatherman was hanging from my belt. It was hot. However, I didn't say, "I'll come back another time, prepared to race the train, and do it then." I was unprepared, but an opportunity was before me, and I took my wife's challenge, and just did it, and you know what, it was fun.

  5. Expect the Unexpected. Even though I wasn't prepared to run, in the few minutes before the train left, I did a quick search of the distance I would need to travel to see how close I may be to having a shot. I was pretty confident that I could win. I knew it took a 1/2 hour for us to get to the Aquarium on the train, and the total distance I would need to run was about 1.8 miles. I could do that in 30 minutes. However, what I failed to take into account was that on the way to the Aquarium the train did a loop through the Botanic Garden as well as a loop in the Zoo. On the way back it was a straight shot. I also didn't expect that right off the bat the bike trail took a out of the way loop to get under Central. (Even though one of the conductors warned me of this and suggested I go over Central as a shortcut.) Sometimes we are surprised by things, even when we think we have a grasp on what's going on. Roll with what life throws at you.

  6. Never Stop Living. Before we left, the conductor showed me (after informing me that humans could outrun horses at short distance sprints) how fast he could run, the 80 year old man. He ran up the station ramp at a shuffle, slightly faster than walking pace, to which the other conductor said was way faster than he could go. We all laughed a little. No matter where you are in life, whether situation or age or anything else, don't stop living. Find joy and enjoy life.
     
  7. Finally. The Zoo Train runs between 7-8 mph. I do not. When the conductor told me the speed of the train I became a little less sure that I could win. Had the race been a straight station to station race, it would have been neck-and-neck. I may have been able to pull out a win, but only because the train stopped for a minute or two at the Tingley Beach Station, I didn't. As it turns out, I ended up beating Manda and the kids to the front of the Zoo by about 2-3 minutes, but it was close, and I was exhausted and sweaty, so maybe they were the winners, but I had fun and learned a few things so maybe I was.
So there you go, lessons from a foot race with a train. If you ever get the chance to race train, go for it. You may just have some fun and possibly learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment